Office of Sponsored Programs
The Ohio State University

During the Trip

Receipts to be submitted for reimbursement to the travel arranger

  • Airfare — An airline-issued receipt or Internet receipt showing proof of payment is necessary (unless it was pre-paid)
  • Hotel — Hotel-issued folio (receipt) or Internet receipt showing proof of payment (balance should be zero, express checkout typically does not suffice)
  • Rental car and gas — Receipt showing amount paid (not the estimate sheet issued when the car is picked up) and gas station receipts
  • Registration — Receipt issued by conference or Internet receipt showing proof of payment (unless it was pre-paid)
  • Parking/Tolls — Parking: receipt can be obtained from garage or from hotel folio. Receipts are required for parking fees and/or tolls totaling $25 or more
  • Shuttles and Taxis — Receipts are only required for fares of $25 or more
  • Meals/Per Diem —When requesting the per diem amount for meals, receipts are not required. In addition to meals, per diem rates include incidental expenses such as laundry, dry cleaning, and service tips (i.e. meal, housekeeping, porters etc.). If requesting the actual amount spent for meals, itemized receipts are required. Please review the university Travel Policy for specific information on the amounts allowed and other restrictions.

Business Meals

The university may reimburse expenses for properly documented business meals while on travel status. The primary purpose must be a business discussion:

  • At least one non-university employee, whose presence is necessary for the business discussion, must be present.
  • Expenses may be incurred only for those individuals who are necessary to the business discussion.
  • In addition to an itemized receipt, Internal Review Service rules require documentation of the time, date, place, business purpose, and list of attendees (tips up to 20% can be reimbursed, alcohol cannot be reimbursed).