Roles and Responsibilities
Responsibilities of the Principal Investigator
- proper technical conduct of the research effort
- compliance with the terms and conditions of the sponsored agreement
- managing project funds within the approved budget
- timely completion and submission of required technical reports
- complying with the all university and sponsor policies and procedures pertinent to the award
Responsibilities of the College and Department
Sponsored research is conducted as a college and department function. As such, the departments and colleges associated with an award are expected to monitor its fiscal status and assist the principal investigator in resolving problems. The departments receiving facilities and administrative (F&A) costs return from the award are also responsible for covering any costs incurred beyond the award amount, or any expenditures disallowed as the result of an audit.
Responsibilities of the Office of Sponsored Programs
- The Office of Sponsored Programs provides accounting, purchasing, and other administrative services to assist the principal investigators in:
- managing the financial aspects of their projects
- obtaining the necessary goods, services, and personnel to conduct the research effort
- meeting sponsor needs for fiscal reports
- The Office of Sponsored Programs provides financial accounting to sponsors for the activity funded and is subject to federal audit.