All sponsored projects are considered to be restricted funds. Thus, all charges to Office of Sponsored Programs sponsored projects must be:
- reasonable, allowable, and allocable to the project
- in accordance with program plans and objectives
- clearly required for the project
- consistent with the budget established for the project (in total, by category, or by line item, depending on sponsor requirements)
- incurred within the project time period
- in accordance with sponsor regulations, university policy, and Office of Sponsored Programs procedures for implementing those regulations and policies
Any deviations from the above require justification and/or additional sponsor approval. Sponsored program officers can provide information and advice on what may or may not be charged to a sponsored project and they can assist in seeking required approvals.